CHM 2045C†††† †Module Eight: Solutions(chapter 5)†† Answers
Part K: Solution Definitions††††††† 10 points
Fill in the blank with word for the definition listed:
1._saturated_____When dynamic equilibrium is established between undissolved solute in a
†† †††††††††††††††††††††††††††Solution, we say the solution is __.
2. _unsaturated___ Any solution containing less solute than it could hold at equilibrium is said
†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† To be a(n) _______________solution.
3. _solute____†††††† That part of a solution which you are dissolving.
4. _solvent________ That part of a solution which does the dissolving (or the media of the
5. _colloids_____†† are dispersions in which that the dispersed matter has one or more dimensions
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† in the range of 1 to 1000 nm and has the unique ability to scatter light.
6. _molality_____† of a solution is the number of moles of solute per kilogram of solvent.
7. __molarity______of a solution is the number of moles of solute per Liter of solution.
8. __% by Mass__of a solution is the grams of solute per 100 grams of solution
9.__% by Volume__†† of a solution is the milliliters of solute per 100 milliliters of solution.
10._Solution___homogeneous mixture of a solute and a solvent.
Normailty of a solution is the number of equivalents of solute per liter of solution.
A mole is defined as Avogadroís Number of entities (atoms, molecules, ions, electrons, etc) or 6.023 x 1023 objects. I refer to it as the chemistís dozen.
An equivalent is defined as number of entities that will produce one mole of reacting species.
Equivalent of an Acid: amount of acid molecules that will produce one mole of hydrogen ions in a solution
Equivalent of a Oxidizer: Amount of Oxidizer which will accept one mole of electrons from a reducer
Equivalent of an Electrolyte: Amount of ions that will produce one more of positive (or negative) charge to a solution.